Blogger, noted New Beverly Cinema and drive-in movie supporter, and genuinely real good guy (along with being a good friend), Dennis Cozzalio is one who focuses his followers on what’s important. Not the mundane aspects of everyday life, but the truly consequential that leads many of us to pore over details of the monumental and crucial that has eaten up many, many hours. In the dark…with loads of strangers sitting beside us, in the cathedral of cinema.
And how has he done this, you ask? Besides his deft writing on subjects that range far and wide on the movies that have captivated us, he has periodically tested his minions and disciples over on this wonderfully titled Sergio Leone and the Infield Fly Rule site. His semi-regular movie quizzes are online events that many look forward to, me included, and he’s done them now going on for an unbelievable ten years1. Quite a feat, if I do say so myself.
…shamefully hangs head low.
And I still somehow missed this year’s summer movie quiz, which came out at the end of April, for chissakes!
Even if my good friend Dennis posted his “correct” answers a month ago, I’m not letting this go without a response. As I’ve stated more than once, I treat these as interview questions. Anyone interested in film is invited to take part. Paste the questions and craft your answers into Google’s
sometime temperamental Blogger comment system in the linked post below, or put your answers on your own blog (if you have one) and leave a comment on his quiz article with a link back to your answers.
As Dennis said…
“And who better to end this particular drought than that tall, cool drink of water from the bad side of the tracks, the one teacher on the staff guaranteed to make the class sit up straight, if only to make driving her stiletto heel through the top of the distracted student’s foot just that much easier? Yes, we welcome SLIFR U’s favorite substitute professor, low on positive teaching philosophy but high on shitty attitude, the Bad Teacher herself, Ms. Elizabeth Halsey, to introduce SLIFR movie quiz #24, her very own Rotten Apple, Hot for Teacher Summer Movie Quiz.”
1) Name a line from a movie that should’ve become a catch phrase but didn’t*
Reciting the supremely cynical, ever-quotable, but friend-loyal Lt. Nick Frecia (and another wonderful role, in a stable filled with them, by Kurt Russell) from the under-appreciated Robert Towne film, Tequila Sunrise:
“How the f*ck did this guy get dead?!?”
2) Your second favorite William Wellman film
The Ox-Bow Incident would be my #1.
3) Viggo Mortensen or Javier Bardem?
As usual, Dennis forces a pick between two actors I really enjoy watching in whatever they do. Damnit! Well, if I have to…it’s…
4) Favorite first line from a movie
“Now I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.” ~ Patton
5) The most disappointing/superfluous “director’s cut” or otherwise extended edition of a movie you’ve seen?*
6) What is the movie you feel was most enhanced by a variant version?*
No question, and with no hesitation, it’s…
7) Eve Arden or Una Merkel?
8) What was the last DVD/Blu-ray/streaming film you saw? The last theatrical screening?
DVD – Hulk vs. Wolverine
Blu-ray – Days of Future Past (Rogue Cut)
Streaming – The Peacemaker
Theatrical – Mission: IMPOSSIBLE – Rogue Nation
9) Second favorite Michael Mann film
Naturally, if you get the name of this blog, Heat remains my all-time favorite of his.
10) Name a favorite director’s most egregious misstep
Not even close, has to be William Friedkin’s…
11) Alain Delon or Marcello Mastroianni?
12) Jean-Luc Godard famously stated that “all you need for a movie is a girl and a gun.” Name one other essential element that you’d add to the mix.
13) Favorite one-sheet that you own, or just your favorite one-sheet (please provide a link to an image if you can)
14) Catherine Spaak or Daniela Giordano?
I’ll go with my usual…Linda Darnell, for the block.
15) Director who most readily makes you think “Whatever happened to…?”
16) Now that some time has passed… The Interview, yes or no?
17) Second favorite Alberto Calvalcanti film
I’ve got nothing, Dennis.
18) Though both displayed strong documentary influence in their early films, Wim Wenders and Werner Herzog have focused heavily on the documentary form late in their filmmaking careers. If he had lived, what kind of films do you think Rainer Werner Fassbinder, their partner in the German New Wave of the ‘70s, would be making now?
19) Name a DVD you’ve replaced with a Blu-ray. Name another that you decided not to replace.*
Proud to own a brand spanking new Miracle Mile in high-def. I’m more than happy with my standard definition copy of Fritz Lang‘s The Big Heat, though.
20) Don Rickles or Rodney Dangerfield?
And I just re-watched last Spring what turned out to be his debut feature film, Run Silent Run Deep. At the very least as funny as Rodney Dangerfield, but far superior as an actor. Mr. Warmth himself…
21) Director who you wish would hurry up and make another film
No question it’s Alfonso Cuarón.
22) Second favorite Michael Bay film
23) Name a movie that, for whatever reason, you think of as your own
24) Your favorite movie AI (however loosely you care to define the term)
25) Your favorite existing DVD commentary track*
It’s also an all-time favorite film of mine, too. John Carpenter’s and Kurt Russell’s hilarious and yet informative commentary, which along with the stories that came out of this production, really is the stuff of legend.
26) The double bill you’d program on the last night of your own revival theater
I’ve mentioned them already on this post. The above film and this…
27) Catherine Deneuve or Claudia Cardinale?
Dennis, I know you had a French vs. Italian theme going here, but like you, there’s only one answer to this:
(* Questions provided by long-time SLIFR reader and quiz participant Robert Fiore. Thanks, Bob!)
- As special bonus extra credit, to commemorate 10 years of movie quiz-taking fun, Dennis’ latest contains “…a compulsively clickable look back at the 23 quizzes that preceded this one — A COMPLETIST’S GUIDE TO 10 YEARS OF THE SERGIO LEONE AND THE INFIELD FLY RULE QUIZZES.” ↩