If there’s anything I’m loathed to do, it’s turn down an award. And if it comes from the blogging community, one I spend a number of waking hours upon, especially the set of wonderful web logs I read regularly, I’m honored. Truth be told, I’m buoyed tenfold when such things come my way.
Case in point, the blogger who runs the wonderful The Film Club bestowed a Versatile Blogger Award on moi. My sincere thanks for the nomination. There’s a reason I follow her blog beyond that, though. Besides her superb content, she runs her site in a fashion I find quite admirable:
“I don’t believe in using big words to say small things and I’m not particularly interested in the technical aspects of film. On this blog I aim to express opinion in an informal, and hopefully humorous fashion, on the basics of a film, you know, whether it is actually enjoyable and what-not. Surely that’s all that matters really.”
Naturally, the Versatile Blogger Award has its rules. In order to accept it, I must:
- Thank my nominator and provide a link to their blog. ☑️
- Make my own fifteen nominations and tell them they have been nominated (see below).
- Offer up seven interesting facts about myself (there’s always a hard part, isn’t there?)
The following would be my Versatile Blogger Award nominees. They certainly qualify. Worth reading, too:
Interesting Facts (so called)
1) I’ve broken exactly three bones over the years. While in high school, my jaw c/o car crash in 1971. My right ankle in ’74, playing a pick-up one-on-one game of basketball — for which I blame my brother. And a metacarpal in my right hand in the early 90s, the classic puncher’s break — don’t ask, it’s really stupid.
2) I have the 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die book by Steven Jay Schneider, given as a gift by my wife, and I’m not even close to checking off most of those listed there. I’m running out of time! :-(
3) The earliest film quote I remember liking once I heard it:
“Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!” ~ Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
4) As a kid, my first crush with a singer came by way of the British Invasion during the mid-60s:
5) Why yes, I have seen my life flash before my eyes. While on a dare (again, as a teenager) crossing a railroad bridge over the L.A. River in South Gate, CA. A third of the way across, I missed a tie and fell in-between. Happened quickly, but believe me, my whole life was referenced. The bridge is still there, too:
6) Okay, I admit to loving Key Lime Pie more than a tad as a dessert, or a staple.
7) Since I’m chronicling injuries, my first concussion came from falling out of a tree at age 7. The second, during a Judo tournament in the mid-70s. Neither took any skill on my part to accomplish, by the way.